Download Free Apps & Games @ PHONEKY.com

cricketcorner - Topics
Create Your Own App Store

* cricketcorner > Topics

Subject: Flintoff to retire from Test c
Replies: 0 Views: 725

royal28 16.07.09 - 09:31am
B7ZmvVQcIAC6T0zyLtXw.jpg
Andrew Flintoff has announced that he will retire from Test cricket at the end of this Ashes summer, although he still intends to make himself available for Twenty20 and ODI cricket, and is expected to be fit for tomorrow's second Test against Australia.

Flintoff, who has missed 25 of England's last 48 Tests through a variety of injuries, suffered another fitness scare on the eve of the Lord's Test, when he reported soreness and swelling in the same right knee that required surgery back in April, after he tore his meniscus while playing in the IPL.

It's not something I have just thought of overnight, it's something that's been on my mind for a while regarding this series, said Flintoff. With the knee flaring up again and getting the injections on Monday, now is a time I felt comfortable with doing it. There's been a lot of speculation over my future for the past few weeks, so I wanted to get it out there, and concentrate on playing cricket.

I've had four ankle operations and knee surgery, so my body is telling me things, and I'm actually starting to listen. I can't just play games here and there while waiting to be fit. For my own sanity, and for my family's, I've got to draw a line under it. I've been going through two years of rehab in the past four, which is not ideal.

Prior to England's practice session on Wednesday morning, Flintoff gave the team talk in a sombre atmosphere, and afterwards Paul Collingwood immediately came up and shook him by the hand. Freddie simply said that these four Tests would be his last in Test cricket, a team insider told Cricinfo. Andrew Strauss, the England captain, said the team were saddened, though not surprised, about Flintoff's decision to stand down from Test cricket.

As players we've had a feeling this would come sooner rather than later, Strauss said. We feel sad he's had to make this decision at his age, but we're sure it will motivate him even more for this series.

The knee injury that has threatened his parti tion at Lord's followed a spirited performance in the first Test at Cardiff, in which Flintoff bowled 35 overs but was once again under-rewarded with figures of 1 for 128. Strauss was optimistic on Wednesday that Flintoff will come through a fitness test and make himself available for selection, and he was seen skipping during England's warm-up in the indoor nets, before padding up for batting practice, then sending down a few pacey overs on the outdoor nets.

The indications are that he's going to be fine, Strauss said. He had a good bowl today, we just need to see how he reacts to what he did today before we can be 100% sure. At this stage we are hopeful but we can't be sure.

* cricketcorner Forum

Search:
topics replies

* cricketcorner

topTop
groupsGroups
mainProdigits

Custom Search